[Sca-cooks] Cato as a recipe source

Susanne Mayer susanne.mayer5 at chello.at
Sun Jul 5 12:43:49 PDT 2009

Here's the text in Latin, so far I made on varous occasions Globos

http://www.ancienttexts.org/library/latinlibrary/cato.agri.html

[79] Globos sic facito. Caseum cum alica ad eundem modum misceto. Inde
quantos voles facere facito. In ahenum caldum unguen indito. Singulos aut
binos coquito versatoque crebro duabus rudibus, coctos eximito, eos melle
unguito, papaver infriato, ita ponito.

globos are made thus: Mix the cheese and spelt in the same way, sufficient
to make the number desired. Put fat into a small hot cooking pot (usually of
iron), and fry one or two at a time, turning them frequently with two rods,
and remove when done. Spread with honey, sprinkle with poppy-seed, and
serve.

My Version is one I got from Roman riders reenacters, it works perfectly and
is very good:

200 g spelt semolina
300g cream cheese (if you can get it: take 1/3 goat and 2/3 plain, more goat
can get too *goaty* for a sweet dish) OR curd cheese (Topfen in Austria) I
did not try Ricotta, Mascarpone or any other fresh italian cheese yet.

mix the spelt semolina and the cheese thoroughly and let stand for about an
hour.
make walnut sizes balls and fry in hot fat (I did use olive oil and  have
also tried lard, both give different results in texture and taste). Fry till
golden brown, turn during frying (the part with two rods does work with
wooden skewers, but I prefere a wooden spatula (or very OOP the small
baskets you use in asian noodle fondues)

warm the honey (I mixed it also with a little white wine to thin it) and
roll the balls in it, roll them in poppysseds afterwards. Serve

Can be cooked on an open fire.

http://ebooks.cib.unibo.it/archive/00000187/01/cato_-_de_agricoltura.pdf

http://thelatinlibrary.com/cato/cato.agri.html

Hope that helps, I have to check my roman Cook books but I thnk tha dalby
book does have some of the cato recipes in it.

Regards Katharina

DW ad flumen caerulum