[Sca-cooks] Roundels was

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Mon Jul 6 18:38:15 PDT 2009

Continuing what Countess Alys has already said,

Roundels appear in a number of museum collections.

Birmingham has this set with this description
"11 sycamore roundels in a circular beech box dating from around 1550
-1600."
http://www.bmagic.org.uk/objects/1965T2441.5
scroll down to see other examples to click upon.
---------------
Searching the collection at the V&A
http://collections.vam.ac.uk/

one finds a rather splendid set of 12
Twelve Wonders of the World
Date
1600-1630
Techniques
Sycamore, with painted decoration in white and gold on black
http://collections.vam.ac.uk/objectid/O78997

-----
St Albans
http://www.stalbansmuseums.org.uk/

http://www.stalbansmuseums.org.uk/content/view/full/15946

Searching under just "roundel" turns up more photos.
Try *http://tinyurl.com/kk2umw

------------

*What's interesting is that prints begin to appear in books in the 17th
century that might be used
for roundels and trenchers. *
"*/12 Plates for cheez trenchers"
see http://bpi1700.cch.kcl.ac.uk/printsMonths/may2008.html/
*
*As to paper being used as suggested by   Eduardo
I came across this mention "I've been intrigued by the Elizabethan
roundels, thin wooden (sometimes just varnished paper) placemats. The
examples I've seen have poems or verses with an illustration. They were
typically handed out in box sets, very much like the cork placemats
elderly aunts today invariably give as wedding gifts. I like the idea of
producing a set for personal use, as well as possibly producing a set
for a feast, with the menu on one side and songs on the other. I'm still
in the experimental stage with these, looking for suitable artwork or
artwork styles. I think they'd be very handy as an encouragement to
singing for the hundreds of songs we know the chorus to but can only
stumble through the verses. (The example shown here has the verses for
/Greensleeves/." This is from an SCA member's website.
webcentre.co.nz/kk/printing.htm <http://webcentre.co.nz/kk/printing.htm>

I'll to check some books. I think I have more references to this also.
*
*hope this helps

Johnnae