[Sca-cooks] Probably OOP cucumber questions

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Jul 12 20:39:38 PDT 2009

<<< Anyway, where was I?  Oh, cloves and pickles.  I think I recall
seeing a
medieval recipe pickling with coriander....can anyone remember this? >>>

Are you specifically looking for cucumbers pickled with coriander? Or
anything pickled with coriander?

Doing a search on "pickle" and "coriander" finds several possible hits.

 From this file in the FOOD-FRUITS section of the Florilegium:
presrvd-lemons-msg(38K) 12/24/06    Dried, pickled and salted
preserved lemons.

=====
-------
Couscous and Other Good Food from Morocco
by Paula Wolfert
-- Hardcover: HarperCollins, 1973
# ASIN: 0060147210
-- Paperback: Quill, 1987
ISBN: 0060913967
Paula Wolfert, a noted food expert, especially of cuisines from
around the Mediterranean, spent quite a few years living in Morocco
in the 1960s, IIRC. This book is quite possibly the best on Moroccan
food in English, although she leaves out a few essential items, such
as most breads. Still in print and well worth owning...

5 lemons, scrubbed
1/4 c. salt or more as needed
fresh lemon juice as needed

Optional spices as used in the city of Safi:
1 cinnamon stick
3 cloves
5-6 coriander seeds
3-4 black peppercorns
1 bay leaf

Wash lemons. To soften rind, soak lemons in lukewarm water for 3
days, changing water daily. Pat lemons dry.

Quarter lemons from top to within 1/2 inch of bottom. Sprinkle salt
on exposed flesh and press sides back together. Place 1 Tb. salt in
bottom of sterilized 1 pint mason jar. Pack in lemons, push them
down, adding more salt, and optional spice mixture between layers.
Press lemons down to release juice and make room for more lemons.
Lemons must be covered with juice, so add fresh lemon juice if
necessary. Seal and set aside in warm dark place.

Turn jar upside down each day to distribute salt and juice. Let ripen
for 30 days before using. To use, rinse as needed. No need to
refrigerate after opening. Lemons will keep up to a year - pickling
juice can be used 2 or 3 times over the course of a year.
=======

Perhaps only traditional and not medieval.

 From the beets-msg file:
======
         From Marx Rumpolt, Ein New Kochbuch, the chapter on
accompaniments to
fried meat

3.Rote Ruben eyngemacht mit klein geschnittenen Merrettich/ Aniss/
Coriander/ und ein wenig Kuemel/ sonderlich wenn die Ruben geschnitten/
gesotten mit halb Wein und halb Essig.

My translation:

Red beets preserved with small cut horseradish/ anise/ coriander/ and a
little caraway/ special if the beets are cut/ marinated in half wine and
half vinegar.

My version:

3 cans (16 oz) small whole beets, cut into chunks
1 cup wine
1 cup vinegar
1 *' long piece of fresh horseradish root, peeled and cut into slivers
* t anise seed
1 t coriander seed
* t caraway seed

Combine all ingredients except beets in a pot. Bring to a boil, simmer 5
minutes, add the beets and heat through. Place in jar or crock and let
mellow for at least 24 hours. The vinegar will preserve your beets; in
period they would have been stored in the cellar. In modern times I
would suggest the fridge or canning in a sterilized container.

Comments:

I used canned beets for the convenience and lower cost. This recipe was
very well received, it will become part of my regular repertoire.
======

Oops. Lost the fractions because of Microsoft and it's preference for
special fraction characters. :-(

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com