[Sca-cooks] Cato as a recipe source

Susanne Mayer susanne.mayer5 at chello.at
Wed Jul 15 14:02:44 PDT 2009

I do have a book called
Condimenta  (Spice plants in  cooking an baking recipes from the roman
antique) roman kitchen plants I

3. edition ISBN: 3-929280-15-9

Güntner E. Thüry (u with dots, it will not be transcribed in the mail) &
johannes walter
>From the University of Vienna, Institute of  Botany

Can translate the german version if wished, please send a mail
[75] Libum hoc modo facito. Casei P. II bene disterat in mortario. Ubi bene
distriverit, farinae siligineae libram aut, si voles tenerius esse, selibram
similaginis eodem indito permiscetoque cum caseo bene. Ovum unum addito et
una permisceto bene. Inde panem facito, folia subdito, in foco caldo sub
testu coquito leniter.
here the Libum cake is made with laurel as the leaves as this is the leaf
given earlier in Cato (76, 3 and 121)

and they state  two other source for the usance of laurel leaves as *baking
sheet*

No honey, BUT Libum does just mean cake and did also mean sacrifical cake
and there seems to be a libum in some text by ovid about religious
celebartions containing honey.  So there is probably a version with honey
also. And the web base recipes do seem to be the ones from trhe dalby book
as I have the clear honey mentioned in this Libum recipe.
But the dalby book has two different Libum recipes so I think the one for
the sweet honey version is actually the redaction for the  savillum and the
savoury cake is the one for libum.

the Condimentim book also has a recipe for  savillum (cato 84)

[84] Savillum hoc modo facito. Farinae selibram, casei P. II S una
conmisceto quasi libum, mellis P. * et ovum unum. Catinum fictile oleo
unguito. Ubi omnia bene conmiscueris, in catinum indito, catinum testo
operito. Videto ut bene percoquas medium, ubi altissimum erit. Ubi coctum
erit, catinum eximito, papaver infriato, sub testum subde paulisper, postea
eximito. Ita pone cum catillo et lingula.
THERE you have the honey but no leaves, the rest of the ingedients cheese,
wheat flour and  egg is the same as for libum

The Dalby book also has a redaction for Placenta, but I have not tried that
yet.

as to Globos

The A. Dalby and S. Grainger (German Title: Küchengeheimnisse der Antike)
book recipe
makes them with milk and semolina (cook the milk add semolina, let stand)
and then adds ricotta and rolls them in roasted sesame seeds.
I would not use this redaction.

I did use cream cheese of the *philiadelphia original* type and fresh
farmers goat cheese of the same consistency or fresh curd cheese only
Katharina
DW ad flumen caerulum