[Sca-cooks] Question about sourdough starter

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Jul 16 12:39:32 PDT 2009

Gunthar asked:

<<< I'm making some sourdough starter right now and it
  has been sitting, covered by a towel for a couple of
  days. It is now nearly doubled in volume and foamy
  which it is supposed to be. But it doesn't smell yeasty
  and sour, it smells more like a sharp cheese. Is this
  normal or has it gone bad? >>>

  It's been a while since I made any sourdough breads, however it
sounds like this is normal. From other commentary it can take a while
for the sour taste to develop depending upon the environment and what
culture you started with.  Did you get your original starter from
someone else, from a kit or by capturing what was in the air?

See these Florilegium files for past discussions on this subject.

brd-mk-sour-msg   (92K)  3/20/08    Breadmaking -Period sourdough
bread recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/brd-mk-sour-msg.html

yeasts-msg        (94K)  6/ 7/08    Medieval use of yeast. Using it in
the CMA.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/yeasts-msg.html

Stefan
--------