[Sca-cooks] pellitory

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sat Jul 18 15:50:01 PDT 2009

Not shocked to see a cut and paste job  from one web page to another.
Maybe it's credited someplace and maybe it's not. Who knows?

As a librarian, I supposed that the original question was with regard to
a source for the herb so the apprentice could
make the cordial and wasn't really a question about what it was.
It doesn't turn up in a lot of modern herb stores. I ran it through my
list of sources and it's not there.

If you want to run it down in terms of botany in a new book, I'd suggest
something like
The herbalist in the kitchen
 By Gary J. Allen which is by the University of Illinois Press.

Sample of this from Google Books
http://books.google.com/books?id=Fniv9ShKmxcC&pg=PA106&dq=pellitory+cordials

It's also mentioned in Spice: The History of a Temptation.

Maybe tomorrow I'll run it through EEBO but I have been up since 5am and
am too tired tonight
to read through those pages and deal with those typefaces. My guess is
that it will be in a number
of medicinal texts.

Johnnae