[Sca-cooks] Regrettably Poor Royal Judgement

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Jul 19 15:16:34 PDT 2009

Giano said:
<<< It is with a heavy heart that I must turn to the list to report on
the deplorable lapse of judgement on the part of Drachenwald's crown.
Yesterday they surpassed themselves by making known bookaholic and
dangerously inept cake misdecorator Giano Balestriere a laurel. >>>

Congratulations, Giano!

With a message title like that I was expecting a big kingdom disaster
like the King dissolving the largest principality/region in the
kingdom or suddenly disbanding half a dozen shires or something.

<<< On a positive note, I am glad to report that my kitchen crew has
passed through its trial-by-fire with extreme distinction. We came to
a lovely, intimate site with space for maybe forty people comfortably
- asked to cook for, by now, sixty. The site operators had promised us
a clean and ready-to-use place, but if it hadn't been fpor a small
advance team cleaning through the night, it would have been impossible
to use.

There were two kitchens, regular home-kitchen size. In one, the
stovetop was only powerful enough to heat opne medium-sized pot at a
time. in the other, the oven blew out the main fuse whenever used.
Plugging in more than one electric pot at a time also blew the main
fuse, especially in the evening. Stick blenders could only be used in
the bathroom or we'd back out. There was one useable cutting board and
not enough serving gear. The refrigerator was tiny and weak. The eggs
and chicken were delivered late, and their head cook got dragged away
in the middle of preparations to sit uselessly in a tent somewhere.
The assistant feast cook hasd to also take over lunch at the last
minute when the lunch cook was rushed to hospital. The cooking laurel
helicoptered in to hold everybody's hand during vigil had not been
given the feast plan and work flowchart. Nonetheless, the feast was
served

a) on time

b) broadly as advertised and

c) to general acclaim.  >>>

How did you/they pull this off? With more on how these things were
accomplished, I think it might be a good example for the feast-
disasters-msg file in the Florilegium.

<<< PS: I have the feast booklet text if anyone is interested. The
theme was late period hanseatic. >>>

Please send me a copy of the menu and feast booklet for possible
inclusion in the Florilegium. A report on what went well and what you
would change the next time, here or by email, would also be appreciated.

Thanks,
   Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com