[Sca-cooks] Perfumes for gloves was sweet almonds

Alexandria Doyle garbaholic at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 10:46:53 PDT 2009

Oh thank you, this makes number five.

A common element I'm seeing here is, if they are working with oils,
it's applied right away, but if they start with powders, there's a
steeping/drying process that happens first, before application, and
always two applications.

thanks
alex

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Johnna Holloway<johnnae at mac.com> wrote:
> For comparison here's another recipe:
>
> A perfume for Gloves.
>
> TAke oyle of Almonds of the sweetest, and put it into a pot with these
> powders, a little Musk, a little Storax, Callamintum, Nutmegs, Gilliflowers,
> and make them in powder, put them into the Oyle of Almonds, and set it to
> dry in the Sun in a Glass by the space of eight daies, and stir it with a
> stick every day then wet your Gloves in Rosewater three times, and let them
> dry again, and the last time when they are dry, annoint them with the Oyle
> and powder after it hath stood eight daies in the Sun, and your Gloves shall
> have a notable perfume?
>
> Philiatros.
> Natura exenterata: or Nature unbowelled by the most exquisite anatomizers of
> her.
> London : Printed for, and are to be sold by H. Twiford at his shop in Vine
> Court Middle Temple, 1655.
> The bibliographic number for this text would be: Wing (2nd ed.) / N241
>
> Johnnae
>

> Alexandria Doyle wrote:
>>
>> Good morning,
>> I am working to redact a couple of perfume recipes (for gloves), snipped
>>
>> Several of the recipes uses oils, some mention "oil of sweet almonds"
>> another mention just "oil of almonds".

So much to do and so little attention span to get it done with…