[Sca-cooks] "The Great Custard Tart Caper"

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Jul 28 00:27:36 PDT 2009

I just added this file to the Florilegium, which I think some folks
here might be interested in. This is a fairly comprehensive article on
custard tarts including some tables comparing various different ones
by ingredients, country of origin, cooking methods etc. It also has
several appendixes full of different custard recipes and some
redactions.

Custard-Tarts-art (42K)  7/18/09  "The Great Custard Tart Caper" by
Baroness
                                     Jehanne de Huguenin, OP.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/Custard-Tarts-art.html

"The Great Custard Tart Caper"
A&S CULINARY RESEARCH PAPER
submitted to the Drachenwald A&S Faire 2004
by Baroness Jehanne de Huguenin, OP.

Custard tarts! Gosh, there are a lot of them in medieval cookbooks.
The humble cream or custard tart ; a basic open pastry shell filled
with some mixture of cream or milk and eggs with sugar ; seems to have
been a staple of the medieval feast, across a wide range of times and
places. The Goodman of Paris (French, 14th century) takes their
ubiquity so much for granted that he specifies "milk tarts" and "cream
flans" on his menus without ever actually giving a recipe (Menus XIII,
XIV, XV, XVII, Hinson 5). This is not, however, a problem, since a
positive embarrassment of recipes exists, ranging from the 14th
century to Elizabethan times, and covering England, Germany, France,
Italy, and Spain. A basic custard, although without the pie crust, is
found as far back in the classical Roman cookbook of Apicius (4th-5th
century A.D.). While having examples from a good spread of times and
cuisines, I am also sure there are recipes I have not found, so this
remains something of an ongoing project as I stumble across new ones.
<snip>

Not to be confused with the other type of capers. :-)

I have a file on them, too.
capers-msg        (22K)  1/30/08    Use of capers in medieval food.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com