[Sca-cooks] What kind of class would you attend?

Susan Lin susanrlin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 12:55:53 PDT 2009

I would like to see a class on reading and understanding period recipes.

I can hold my own with cooking (usually) and my food turns out pretty tasty
(usually) but I know that when I start to read period recipes - either in
English, old English, or any other language my eyes begin to glaze over and
I loose my concentration because it is not familiar to me.

For all you wonderful people out there who can read other languages -
especially the old laguages I applaud your skills and wish to gleen as much
as I can from you.  Are there some tricks (like some words that we could
easily recognize) are there good translation sources?  What do you find
interesting about deciphering a recipe (that might make my eyes less
glazed).  What do you do when you find conflicting translations?

I'd like to be able to do more of the work myself instead of always having
to try to find a translation that someone has already done (although there
is an appeal to that as well).

I'd like to see the class as hands on rather than lecture.  Maybe take a
recipe or two in the native language and work through the translation and
then appropriate modern modifications.

Shoshanna