[Sca-cooks] Idea for an A&S Entry

Raphaella DiContini raphaellad at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 1 15:29:44 PDT 2009

I think there is a lot of questions that really depend on the A&S culture where you plan to display and lots, and lots and LOTs of logistics that would have to be worked out in advance. This definitely something you can't spring on an autocrat (or contest coordinator for that matter) with out much advanced notice.

That said, where I'm at (fairly central AnTir) we've had at least two Kingdom Arts and Sciences Champions, that I know of (there could be many more) that have entered at least one food item and cooked them on site. One used an electric burner set up, the other cooked outside over fire. Of course the fire would be much more accurate as far as historical technique, but sometimes introducing people to historical cooking also requires working with what rational parameters you have.

I really, really enjoy when people enter food items, and I'm delighted that we seem to be seeing more historical food as part of general SCA life and not just for feasts.

In joyous service,
Raffaella