[Sca-cooks] Food for camping

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Jul 31 14:33:40 PDT 2009

You don't indicate the number of people you would be cooking for in the
evenings.
That makes a big difference, just a couple, a couple and two kids, or a
group of 10 or more.
And it often makes a great deal of difference what one has had to eat
during the day as to
what works best for supper. After a heavy late lunch, a simple supper
might be enough
and in that case a salad or an omelet might be all that is needed. Or a
pbj sandwich might do.
Have you polled everyone that you will be cooking for as to what they
want and expect?

You also don't mention how large a cooler you have, if it's one of those
super cooling
coolers that will keep frozen foods cold for 5 days, or if you have
access to dry ice.
Many find that a cooler with dry ice that is not opened will keep foods
cold for several days.
The other alternative is seal a meal and freeze those meals ahead for
the week.

I presume you aren't going to try and keep ice for drinks or juice in a
cooler.

If period food is not necessary, of course there are any number of
backpacking or camping meals
that are made up with water on site. Check out REI or Campmor
http://www.campmor.com

Do you have access to fresh vegies or a farmstand or can you make trips
into a town to
replenish ice and bread?

Johnnae