[Sca-cooks] pressed sugar

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Jul 31 18:17:30 PDT 2009

On Jul 31, 2009, at 8:10 PM, Marcha wrote:

> Should have made myself clearer...the pressed sugar I made was
> simply granulated sugar with just enough liquid added to make it
> moldable.  No heat involved.  Did make spun sugar....Once!
>
> Thanks again,
> Bertha

Oh, okay. One point to consider is that the first step in almost any
period sugar recipe, since most sugars were purchased in a less
refined form than we're used to, is some form of phase change, either
grating or crushing a loaf, or making a syrup with water and boiling.

OTOH, sugar plate is [generally] not boiled. [Except when it is ;-) ].
Most often, it is made by adding powdered sugar to a small amount of
liquid (usually gum tragacanth in water, but sometimes other stuff)
until the desired consistency is reached.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter