[Sca-cooks] OT: Mystery Object

Martha Sieting osermart at msu.edu
Wed Jul 15 18:05:21 PDT 2009

> This site:
> http://www.sacred-destinations.com/france/autun-cathedral-photos/slides/xti_2384cp75
> suggests that it is an image of Autumn.  One man is carrying "tools"
> and the other is wiping his brow with his cloak.  If it is Autumn,
> then I would be looking at harvest/threshing tools, though that's not
> at all my area of expertise.
>
> Brighid ni Chiarain

Ah, now that makes sense to me!  It fits with the other rondels that start the program - the sun for Summer, workers for Autumn (in the "Labors" sequence, Autumn is a time of harvest, making wine and tilling fields), the robed & nude figures for Spring (taking off the warm cloak as the weather chages) and the figure by the fire for Winter.

All the other suggestions were helpful and informative as well!  Doesn't answer the question of exactly what he's holding, but the seasonal identification is good enough for me!

Thanks to all who came up with options!

-Helena