[Sca-cooks] Cato as a recipe source

Robin Carroll-Mann rcarrollmann at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 13:44:16 PDT 2009

On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 3:43 PM, Susanne Mayer<susanne.mayer5 at chello.at> wrote:
> My Version is one I got from Roman riders reenacters, it works perfectly
> and is very good:
>
> 200 g spelt semolina
> 300g cream cheese (if you can get it: take 1/3 goat and 2/3 plain, more
> goat can get too *goaty* for a sweet dish) OR curd cheese (Topfen in
> Austria) I did not try Ricotta, Mascarpone or any other fresh italian cheese
> yet.

Just a quick note to other U.S. cooks on the list.  I strongly suspect
that the "cream cheese" Katharina buys in Austria is very different
than what we know as cream cheese, based on the cheeses she suggests
as substitutes.  Maybe farmer's cheese would do, or even homemade
fresh cheese.

Brighid ni Chiarain