[Sca-cooks] Cato as a recipe source

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Tue Jul 7 12:47:21 PDT 2009

Is either of those the source for the "Libum" recipe that one can
find in various places on the web? The original is Cato, the
"redaction" includes bay leaves (the original has "leaves") and honey
(not in the original at all). Different webbed sources have the same
redaction with the same wording ("1/2 c clear honey"), which makes me
suspect a common secondary source.

Anybody know if there is any basis for the honey? Does some other
latin source say that libum was eaten soaked in honey?

>I also found a few recipes, plus some other information in a book "A Taste
>of Ancient Rome" by Ilaria Gozzini Giacosa and Anna Herklotz.  Not sure how
>great the book is, but at the time it was very helpful and one of the few
>sources from the period that was available (about 10 years ago!)
>
>Kiri
>
>On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 10:30 PM, Johnna Holloway <johnnae at mac.com> wrote:
>
>>  Mark Grant's volume Roman Cookery: Ancient Recipes for Modern Kitchens
>>  features a number of recipes from Cato or suggested by Cato.
>>  Cato and Varro: On Agriculture (Loeb Classical Library No. 283) is
>>  available in a hardcover
>>  edition for $24.
>>
>>  Johnnae

David Friedman