[Sca-cooks] Asafoetida and Silphium

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Tue Jul 14 17:06:26 PDT 2009

On Jul 14, 2009, at 7:46 PM, Johnna Holloway wrote:

> The latest issue of Saudi Aramco Worl magazine for July/August 2009
> arrived today.
>
> It has an article in on "Devil's Dung" or Asafoetida.
> Also the article contains an interesting sidebar on Silphium
> It's online here:
> http://www.saudiaramcoworld.com/issue/200904/devil.s.dung-the.world.s.smelliest.spice.htm

I was in a large local Indian market on Sunday, replenishing my
saffron supply, and no bleep, there I was, sniffing like a bloodhound,
trying and succeeding in finding the jars of hing powder three aisles
over.

I was mean, and didn't even buy any; I just wanted to see if I really
could find it with my eyes closed.

That said, it's really not especially vile. Smells a bit like musky
garlic, and is quite good in curries and seafood dishes.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter