[Sca-cooks] OT: Mystery Object

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Wed Jul 15 13:02:46 PDT 2009

For Europe, "sweeping out the old year" is primarily a custom in the north
of England where the fires are extinguished and the chimneys swept.  I
believe it is also Chinese custom to sweep out the bad luck of the old year
on the Chinese New Year.

As for the figure, it looks to me as if he has a hurley resting on his
shoulder and a ball in his left hand.  Of course, this being a medieval
church decoration, it should have some relationship to the Bible or the
liturgy.

Bear