[Sca-cooks] OT: Mystery Object

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Wed Jul 15 17:00:57 PDT 2009

I enjoyed the hurley idea, so I decided to see if I could expand that
interpretation.  The image is French so the game needs to be French.  Jeu de
palme is the forerunner of tennis and was played with palm, glove or bat in
a courtyard.  Some authorities give it a start as early as the 10th Century
and it was at time prohibit by the Church and the Crown as a frivolous waste
of time.  What this carving may represent is the idea that one should shun
frivolous pursuits that keep one from one's labors (paying tithes and taxes
being of greater interest to the powers that be).

Bear