[Sca-cooks] pressed sugar

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Jul 31 19:39:16 PDT 2009

On Jul 31, 2009, at 10:26 PM, Johnna Holloway wrote:

> And to that point here is a recipe
> This is an excerpt from *Ouverture de Cuisine*
> (France, 1604 - Daniel Myers, trans.)
> The original source can be found at MedievalCookery.com <http://www.medievalcookery.com/notes/ouverture.shtm
> >

> To prepare sugar for casting images & fruits. Mix melted sugar with
> rose water as much as you would like to have, & let it boil a long
> time until it becomes like syrup, when boiling add two well beaten
> egg whites, at the end the sugar will be very white, then pass the
> melted sugar through a fine sieve to separate out the egg white,
> then put the sugar back on the fire, & let it boil a long time,
> stirring the sugar with a spatula, casting it on top, if you see
> that it falls like snow then it is cooked enough, then take it from
> the fire, it must always be mixed with a spatula that it will become
> like little grains & little bubbles, then cast it in the form of
> fruit or images as wanted.
>
> So you are melting sugar, clarifying it to remove impurities and
> then casting it.

Sounds about right. I suspect the instruction to work it with a
spatula "that it will become like little grains & little bubbles" is
probably the equivalent of pulling the sugar to give it some crystal
development, keep it from case-hardening, and make sure the product is
opaque (which most things you'd be casting, would be).

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter