[Sca-cooks] FoC

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Jun 3 23:06:26 PDT 2009

But is this an original illustration from the book or something added
for this publication?

Either way this is a mis-indexing. "Curry" powder is a mis-
understanding by the British of the spice mixes of India, which in any
case, is much later than the original publication of Forme of Cury. I
don't remember what "Cury" means in medieval English but it has little
or nothing to do with the so-called Indian curry mixes.

Stefan

============
I suspect it is curry because they have the book indexed under:

    * Kindle Books
      <http://www.amazon.com/Books-Kindle/b/ref=dp_brlad_entry?ie=UTF8&node=154606011

Cooking, Food & Wine
      <http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=dp_brlad_entry?
ie=UTF8&node=156154011>
Cooking by Ingredient
      <http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=dp_brlad_entry?
ie=UTF8&node=156167011>
Herbs, Spices & Condiments
      <http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=dp_brlad_entry?
ie=UTF8&node=156170011>

Johnnae

emilio szabo asked:

What kind of powder is depicted on the title page?
Curry? Why?  E.

Johnnae had mentioned-
<<  Amazon is now offering
The Forme of Cury A Roll of Ancient English Cookery Compiled, about A.D.
1390
<http://www.amazon.com/Forme-Ancient-English-Cookery-Compiled/dp/B00267SKKC/ref=sr_1_73?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244030780&sr=1-73

by Samuel Pegge as a Kindle Edition - April 10, 2009) - Kindle Book

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com