[Sca-cooks] Hansen's Disease/leprosy was Hroar is home!!!

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Thu Jun 4 11:47:30 PDT 2009

First of all, let's change the subject line.
We are rather far adrift from welcoming Master Hroar home to a
discussion of leprosy.

I just checked the Library of Congress catalog and the subject heading
in use is Leprosy.Hansen's disease is a See: Leprosy entry for cataloging.

As regards leprosy, there are hundreds of books, dissertations, and
articles on the topic. What is it that you want?
If I give you citations to articles in JSTOR, do you have access to that
database? Do you have
access to a local university library and a good reference collection?
Starting with the
Encyclopedia of the Middle Ages / edited by Andre Vauchez in conjunction
with Barrie Dobson and Michael Lapidge ; English translation by Adrian
Walford
might be a good place to start and provide you with what information it
is that you are seeking. How in depth do you want to go?
There's also:
Routledge Encyclopedias of the Middle Ages.
/The Encyclopedia of the Renaissance/, ed. Paul F. Grendler. Scribner’s,
2000 or the
Encyclopedia of Society and Culture in the Medieval World.
CUP and OUP have relevant volumes also.

Or how about
Medieval Science, Technology, and Medicine: An Encyclopedia (Routledge
Encyclopedias of the Middle Ages)

Another place to start would be to explore the medical literature. Do
you have access to a medical library?
The history of medicine can be very fascinating. There are titles like:
Leprosy in Premodern Medicine: A Malady of the Whole Body
or Leprosy and Empire: A Medical and Cultural History (Cambridge Social
and Cultural Histories)
or Leprosy in Medieval England.

How much research and reading do you want to do? How much time do you
want to invest?

The librarians on this list can certainly provide you with the titles so
you can research this subject on your own.

Johnnae (playing librarian)