[Sca-cooks] newbee cook attempting feast for the first time indecember

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Fri Jun 5 14:11:03 PDT 2009

My personal rule of thumb for a feast is 12 dishes (in three courses) and
roughly 4 ounces of each per person.  Of the 12 dishes, two or three will be
some kind of meat and two will be bread.  One will be a sweet and the rest
will be some kind of appropriate side, often vegetable or fruit based.  I
try to establish a pleasing mix of tastes, texture and colors, with enough
variation that both carnivores and vegetarians can eat and be satisfied.
Yes this usually produces more food than can be eaten, but if the feast is
break even or profitable, I'm not greatly concerned.

As for advice, a great feast is more about logistics than cooking.  Good
plain fare, served on time and and at temperature, is superior to the
fanciest fare that doesn't quite make it to the table in good order.

Bear