[Sca-cooks] Please Define Trotter

Kihe Blackeagle kihebard at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 7 00:33:34 PDT 2009

Unfortunately (or not), I was born late enough that my grandfather was no longer slaughtering and smoking on the farm -- BUT I was still raised to think of pig's trotters as including the hooves, ankle ("knuckles"), and some portion of the leg above, but not usually rising to the level of the knee.  


Pickled pig's feet as I have seen them sold modernly generally do not include the hoof itself, just the ankle and fleshy parts just above and just below -- but may also be labelled "pickled pig's knuckles" in that case. 

Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe 

Mike C. Baker / Kihe Blackeagle 
Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em 
SCA: al-Sayyid Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra, F.O.B, OSCA 
"Other": Reverend Kihe Blackeagle PULC (the DreamSinger Bard) 
alt. e-mail: KiheBard at hotmail.com 
Buy my writings!: http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen 

> Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2009 15:03:19 -0400
> From: lordhunt at gmail.com
> To: sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org
> Subject: [Sca-cooks] Please Define Trotter
> Dictionaries define trotter as pig or lamb's feet. In the slaughter I 
> refer to the hooves, not feet when the slaughter man is shopping up this 
> area. He gives me what I call trotters, the area he chops off with a 
> hatchet between the hoof and the lower joint of the leg. How would you 
> properly define trotter?
> Suey

Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync. 

More information about the Sca-cooks mailing list