[Sca-cooks] Almond Milk

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Mon Jun 8 13:17:45 PDT 2009

On Jun 8, 2009, at 3:35 PM, Suey wrote:

> I do not remember who gave a recipe for almond milk with skins still
> attached. Lladonora directs that the almonds be peeled before
> crushing them in a mortar. See Josep Lladonora, La Cocina Medieval,
> p. 158. It has never occurred to me to leave the skins on.
> Suey

Most recipes seem to call for peeled, blanched almonds, since the
object will be something that looks like milk.

However, some recipes (usually calling for a brownish, russet or
reddish-colored sauce in the final product) call for unpeeled and/or
unblanched, and sometimes toasted, almonds for this purpose. Most
mirrauste recipes and le Menagier's tile of meat and crayfish come to
mind as examples of the latter.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter