[Sca-cooks] Fwd: Brown Ale

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 06:56:13 PDT 2009

I also received information from another of Atlantia's brewers who has
specifically researched the Hanseatic League:

"Well, there's obviously going to be differences in grain species.
Czech/Moravian malt is generally considered lighter-colored than German or
French, which is in turn lighter than English or American.  But the
difference there is really minor--the flavor would vary more than the color
(I can make a fine-looking pils out of American pale ale malt--it just won't
taste quite right).  "Degree of roasting," in the instance we're talking
about below (medieval grains) would include accidentally over-kilning the
grains.  That would be most of it.  Ooh--rye malt would darken things a
little, but I haven't seen much on that yet.

Near as I can tell, the red beers are all-barley (or only a *little* wheat),
while white beer is nearly the opposite proportion.  A buddy of mine who a)
speaks German and b) married a nice German girl is going to do a better
translation for me--but it'll be "in his copious free time," and we all know
how that goes.

Interesting bit that I'm trying to track down; don't know if I mentioned it
earlier or not.  Apparently, the Dutch (particularly around Haarlem) brewed
and exported a gruit-ale.  Also apparently, they were fond enough of their
recipe to *set it down in their laws*--which should be publicly available
somewhere, if only I can figure out how to get to them.  There are also
(apparently) still in existence recipes for Dutch beers from 1401 (a gruit)
and 1507 (a "hoppenbier").  Still digging--I'm going to send out a few
emails to some folks, see what I can wheedle from them."

Hope all of this helps...

Kiri