[Sca-cooks] books on recipes in spain - Fadalat, Fedalat, Fudalat

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Tue Jun 16 18:02:19 PDT 2009

>>> For the record it is Fadalat not Fedalat.
>>>
>> The website in question says "Fedalat".
>>

>> Setrata del manuscrito llamado: Fedalat Al-Jiwan fi tayyibat
>> al-ta'am wa-l-alwan (Relieves de la mesa, sobre manjares y guisos). Su
>> autor es el murciano Abu l-Hasan 'Ali ibn Muhammad ibn Ab? l-Qasim
>> ibn Muhammad ibn Ab? Bakr ibn Razin al-Tuyibi al-Andalus?
>> y fu? escrita probablemente entre 1228 y 1243)
>>

>> One of the newer publications says both "Fadalat" and "Fudalat" (with the
>> appropriate accents), as do other entries in online library catalogues.
>>

>> Main author:Ibn Razi?n al-Tuji?bi?, fl. 1239-1265. Title details:Relieves
>> de las mesas, acerca de la delicias de la comida y los diferentes
>> platos = Fud?a?lat al-h?iwan fi? t?ayyiba?t al-t?a?a?m wa-l-alwa?n / Ibn
>> Razi?n al-Tug?i?bi? ; estudio, traduccio?n y notas: Manuela Mari?n.
>> [ Fad?a?lat al-khiwa?n fi? t?ayyiba?t al-t?a?a?m wa-al-alwa?n. Spanish. ]
>> Series:Comida de la vida
>>  Published:Somonte-Cenero, Gijo?n : Ediciones Trea, c2007. Physical
>> desc.:319 p. ; 24 cm. Identifier:ISBN: 8497043227
>> ISBN: 9788497043229
>>  Notes:Includes bibliographical references (p. 313-319).
>> So, this might be a question of transcription, I don't know.
>>
>> E.
>>

> According to the publication of Fernando de la Granja Santamaria the word
> is Fadalat with two dots over the second "a". Granja makes no mention of
> any other spelling.
> Stefan titled my translation: Fadalat-art 12/4/07 but I cannot find it on
> line. Sorry I worked hard on it even though it is short and I have the
> copywrite issued in Santiago, Chile in 2007.
> Suey

The issue of the different spellings of the same word is a problem with the
transliteration of Arabic from cursive script to Roman letters.  Spellings
are usually phonetic and different regions have differences in
pronunciation.  You can reference T.E. Lawrence for spelling variations in a
single text in Revolt In The Desert.  There was an exchange between Lawrence
and his editor over the issue.

As for standards in Romanization of Arabic, there is the standard of the
International Convention of Orientalist Scholars (1936), the Arab League
standard (1971), the ALA-LC (Amer. Lib Assn./Lib. of Congress) Romanization
tables, ISO 233, British Standard BS 4280, and the UN Romanization System
for Geographical Names.  I gather that the two most common post-WWII
standards for general transliteration are the ICOS and the ALA-LC.

In Arabic speaking countries that were under European control, Romanization
tends to follow the phonetic rules of the particular European country that
held sway in a region, creating Romanized spelling differences between Arab
nations.

It is a marvelously convoluted mess!  So don't worry to much about correct
spelling as long as the words sound the same.

Bear