[Sca-cooks] Harfleur 1415

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Wed Jun 3 20:52:43 PDT 2009

The OED is more thorough, but you might try the following Wikipedia entries:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cart

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wain

The reason I say "general differentiation" is because the two terms
represent specialized usage that has changed over time with the definitions
becoming comingled and more general as carts and wains fell out of use.

Wain and wagon are essentially equivalent (both term, interestingly, are
used for the Big Dipper (Ursa Major)) and may derive from a common root.
There is one archaic useage of wain that refers to a two wheeled chariot,
but it is in reference to a four horse hitch.  Carts, incidentally, are
pulled by no more than two horses.

One might be able to also demonstrate the difference by considering the
crafts of wainwright and cartwright and see how they varied under the
medieval guild structure and laws.

Bear