[Sca-cooks] newbee cook attempting feast for the first timeindecember

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 18:41:45 PDT 2009

Pretty much the same here...I always know how much I'm going to have to
spend, per head, and an idea of how many I'll be cooking for before I ever
start any real planning.  Granted I may have done some brainstorming,
looking for dishes that look interesting, etc.  Another thought that I take
into consideration 'cause it helps keep costs down is trying to use veggies
and fruits that are in season.  Even when you're just cooking for your
family, this is a good idea.  And if there's something you want to use and
you know about it in time, you might be able to purchase it in season and
preserve it in some fashion.  I had that situation with pomegranates.  They
were out of season by about 3 weeks by the time I needed them at the end of
February.  I found them on sale while in season, so I got the seeds out of
them and froze them.  Worked out just fine and saved me a bunch of money!

Kiri