[Sca-cooks] Stefan's Florilegium files for June

Stefan li Rous stefanlirous at austin.rr.com
Mon Jun 8 23:33:38 PDT 2009

Greetings to the Gentles of the SCA-Cooks list,

Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for June detailing what is
new in the Florilegium this month.

I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have
researched a little known subject in our period or you practice a
little known art or craft writing an article is an excellent way to
introduce others to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in
academic papers written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few
have time at such an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them
published in the Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire
Known World.

My standard policy is that the copyright remains with the author and I
will accept updates or removal requests at any time. So you don't have
to wait until you have that "perfect" article. You can update it as
you learn more. In the meantime, folks can be learning from your paper
and you might get some good, useful feedback. Even if your article has
been previously published elsewhere, I'm happy to consider it. Not
everyone around the Known World has seen your kingdom's A&S issue or
your local group's newsletter. I'm happy to give credit to the
publication where an article was first published by adding a notation
to an article.

Thanks,
    Stefan
-----------
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past nineteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been
collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
this information available to others, I have placed this information
in a collection of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

I have added an RSS feed for the Florilegium website. If you are
already reading RSS feeds, please add the Florilegium RSS feed to find
out when new and updated files as well as new features get added to
the website. If you are unfamiliar with RSS, or Real Simple
Syndication, it is a method built into many web browsers, and also
available as a separate tool, which alerts you when the contents of
your favorite websites have been changed.

I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article
that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me
for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class
handouts will also often work out well. I am especially interested in
A&S papers.

      THLord Stefan li Rous   Ansteorra    stefan at florilegium.org

Here are the new files for this month:
In the BEVERAGES section:
    Vintng-Harvst-art    "A Vineyard Experiment" by Baron Damon
Hroarsson.
    Vintng-Tools-art     "A Vineyard Experiment - Appendix 1: A
                            closer look at some period tools of the
                            trade" by Baron Damon Hroarsson.
    Vintng-Proces-art    "A Vineyard Experiment - Appendix 2:
                            Winemaking, a personal experience." by
                            Baron Damon Hroarsson.
In the CHILDREN section:
    toddlr-tethrs-msg    Use of tethers/"leading strings" to control
                            toddlers in period and the SCA.
In the FOOD section:
    Dairy-Prodcts-art    "1450 Flanders Dairy Challenge"
                            by Lady Hrosvitha von Celle (Vitha).
    Sumr-Fd-Safty-art    "Summer Food Safety" by THL Johnnae llyn Lewis
In the PEOPLE AND PLACES section:
    Chaucer-Cifer-art    Geoffrey Chaucer and his ciphers by Seigneur
                            Lucien de La Rochelle.
In the PLANTS, HERBS ABD SPICES section:
    15-16C-Flowrs-art    "Floral Arrangements of the 15th and 16th
                            Century" by Senora Dorothea Manuela Ponce.
In the SCA-STORIES section:
    SCA-War-Xcuse-msg    Interesting excuses given for SCA Wars.
In the SCRIBAL-ARTS section:
    A-Period-PDA-art     "A Period PDA" by James Northfolke. The table-
book.
In the TEXTILE-ARTS section:
    card-weaving-msg     Card and tablet weaving.

Here are the updated files for this month.
    armrd-turnps-msg     The medieval and SCA dish, armored turnips.
    blood-dishes-msg     Use of blood in period foods. Recipes.
    bread-pudding-msg    Period bread pudding.
    cherries-msg         Period cherries and cherry dishes. Recipes.
    cooks-clothng-msg    Period and SCA cooks clothing.
    dates-msg            Period date fruits. Recipes.
    Lent-msg             Medieval Lenten practices and restrictions.
    pilgrm-badges-msg    Medieval pilgrim badges. References.
    seaweed-msg          Use of seaweed as food and for other uses.
    tasting-tabls-msg    Introducing people to medieval foods using
                            food samples and tasting tables.
---
Copyright 2009, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related
publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left
unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit
the article into limited publication space is allowed.  The article
introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact
info are retained.

<end>
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com