[Sca-cooks] Seville Oranges, was Tudor Recipe help

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 11 14:34:06 PDT 2009

margaret wrote:
>--On Thursday, June 11, 2009 1:06 PM -0400 lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:
>> Fresh Seville orange juice is not just more sour than normal sweet orange
>> juice, it is also more bitter, very highly acidic, and doesn't taste like
>> sweet orange juice. It is more like tangerine or mandarin orange juice
>> with a nearly equal amount fresh grapefruit juice (for bitterness) and a
>> dash of lemon juice, but even more acidic, not just sour. I've used this
>> blend to augment an inadequate amount of fresh Seville/bitter orange
>> juice.
>>
>> To me it doesn't taste like sweet orange juice mixed with vinegar or
>> lemon juice, but of course one has to make do with what one can find.
>
>Hmm, have you tried mixing in sour grape juice (verjuice)?  When I bought
>some at sour grape juice at the local middle eastern store, I was surprised
>how different the taste was from the various substitutes.

Oh, yeah. That stuff is not much like the modern verjuice from wine grapes i get here in Northern California. It is very harsh.

And that's a good suggestion. It would probably work mixed with tangerine/mandarin juice and grapefruit juice...

On some other hand, i had a bottle that i'd used a little of, recapped it tightly and it ended up way at the back of the shelf where it sat for many many months. When i rediscovered it it was not moldy, but it had mellowed considerably.

Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)