[Sca-cooks] books on recipes in spain

t.d.decker at att.net t.d.decker at att.net
Mon Jun 15 07:40:00 PDT 2009

That's a really broad range.  I'm going to assume, as you are asking on this list, that your interest is in cooking in the period between about 500 and 1600.

If your interest is Moorish, might I suggest looking at the Perry translation of the Anonymous Andalusian cookbook on Duke Cariadoc's web site:

http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Andalusian/andalusian_contents.htm

If you are up to reading Spanish, there is a translation of selections from the Fedalat al-Jiwan at this location:  http://www.elsgnoms.com/receptes/arabigo.html

Rupert de Nola's Catlan cookbook can be found in Robin Carroll-Mann's translation can be found in the Florilegium under:  http://www.florilegium.org/?http%3A//www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MANUSCRIPTS/Guisados1-art.html

http://www.florilegium.org/?http%3A//www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MANUSCRIPTS/Guisados2-art.html

You can find an English translation of  at least part of the Livro de Cozhina da Infanta D. Maria, a 15th-16th Century Portguese text, by Baroness Faeris Gwynarden at : http://www.sca.org.au/cooks/Pages/articles/articles.html

You can find a facsimile copy of Domingo Hernandez de Maceras's Libro de Cozina (1607) on Duke Cariadoc's website at:  http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/For_Translation/Libro_del_Arte_de_Cozinha/Libro_del_Arte.html

For published books you might want to look at:
Santich and Vogelzang, Book of Sent Sovi: Medieval Recipes from Catalonia (14th Century)

Scully, The Neapolitan Recipe Collection, where the recipes are related to Catalonian cooking due to the interchange between Spain and Naples.

Those are a few sources to get you started, if you can further define your interests, others on this list may be able to give you even more detailed information.

Good luck.

Bear

-------------- Original message from Jennifer Couch <okwldflwr at gmail.com>: --------------