[Sca-cooks] Dutch Oven Cooking - OOP

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Jun 17 17:48:47 PDT 2009

Bear suggested:
<<< While one can bake the bread on the floor of the oven, I have
found that
using a small cooling rack with a pie tin on it for baking produces an
air
gap and more even heating of the dough. >>>

I would highly recommend using an air space. In the Boy Scouts it was
common to use one of the metal plates sitting on top of three small
rocks.

Early on in my Scouting career my patrol decided to cook apple
turnovers in a Dutch oven. We didn't know about needing this air
space. The tops of the turnovers were nicely browned. The bottoms were
charred. We could not get the burned on bottoms of the turnovers off
of the bottom of the Dutch oven at the event and had to bring it home
for further washing. Soap and water and detergents didn't work. It
took a hammer and a cold chisel to finally get the last of the charred
bits off of the Dutch oven. This was an cast aluminum Dutch oven,
rather than cast iron Dutch oven, but I doubt it makes a difference in
this.

We have discussed cooking medieval recipes in Dutch ovens previously
and I saved some of the conversation. However, I have yet to create
and web a message file in the Florilegium on this.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com