[Sca-cooks] Fadalat

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Jun 18 15:47:12 PDT 2009

Urtatim suggested:

<<< Suey, i appreciate your work translating la Granja's translations
of recipes from the Fadalat from Spanish into English.

I have one rather big problem with your translation. Throughout you
have used the English word "lard". No Muslim would cook with lard,
which is pig fat. I really wish you would replace "lard" with "sheep
tail fat", which was the common Muslim animal fat. That would more
accurately represent what was meant, which "lard" absolutely does not.
I keep fearing that someone will enter dishes into SCA competitions
using your translation and they will use pig fat, and will be mislead
into believing that Andalusian Muslims used lard. >>>

Suey, if you used lard consistently to mean this "sheep tail fat", I
can easily do a word substitution on my master copy and change this in
the Florilegium.

Of course if you have other changes you wish to incorporate, send me
an updated copy or the list of changes you want and I'll get them done.

This updating offer is also available to any of you who have articles
in the Florilegium.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com