[Sca-cooks] salt cod

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sat Jun 20 05:19:14 PDT 2009

On Jun 20, 2009, at 4:55 AM, Susanne Mayer wrote:

> is saltcod the same as Stockfish (HARD dried Fish) or Klippfisch
> (Hard salted dried fish). fish generic as I do not know what fish is
> usually salted in what part of the known Lands (it could be cod,
> ling, haddock or pollack)

While not taxonomically identical, the species you mention are
anatomically fairly similar and pretty much interchangeable for
culinary purposes.

The primary difference would be in whether the fish is salted, or
simply dried. Stockfish is dried without added salt, traditionally
hung up on stakes or a framework of tree branches on a windy beach,
while salt cod is definitely pretty heavily salted.

Ironically, while lots of different fish can be, and are, salted,
usually when the term saltfish is used, it's in the Caribbean islands
and refers specifically to cod.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter