[Sca-cooks] OOP Question: Baked Fish

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Mon Jun 29 23:46:54 PDT 2009

--- Celia des Archier <CeliadesArchier at cox.net> schrieb am Di, 30.6.2009:

> > Dry mustard goes marevellously with some
> stronger-tasting fish IMO. Don't
> know about
> > catfish.
>
> Hmmm... have never tried that.  What stronger tasting
> fish have you used it
> with?

Salmon, tuna, and what I think is a local variety of the pilchard family, Stint. Salmon went very well, tuna, too. I also used it in a recipe fropmk al-Baghdadi that involved malking a paste of herbs, pounded nuts and mustard. Not sure about the details any more, I didn't properly redact it.

> > Other than that I can't think of any favourite recipe
> that does not involve
> nuts, cheese, or
> > breading, I'm afraid.
>
> Nuts (although I never think of them) and cheese are
> permissible... it's just
> the breading that I'm avoiding.  I don't ever think of
> putting cheese and fish
> together... are you talking cheeses like parmesan or
> cheddar or both?

Archestratus has grated cheese as a coating on baked fish, IIRC dorade. No details, but I tried a grated softish Emmental and a mild feta, and both worked all right. So did a salt-and-coriander crust. I suspect both are too strong for trout, though.

Whole trout with a herb filling grill exceedingly well, by the way.

YIS

Giano