[Sca-cooks] newbee cook attempting feast for the first timeindecember

chawkswrth at aol.com chawkswrth at aol.com
Fri Jun 5 16:25:51 PDT 2009

Perhaps I should have posted BAD MOOD warnings....

I have been in on the planning of several feasts, and have talked to several experienced Cooks. I am even attempting to plan one now, for a yet-to-be-determined Event. The level of pre-planning, even in just the documentary phase, is beginning to take on similarities to a Massive War Plan for just one Major Battle.
Coming up with the Concept, the?plan and the menu has been fun. Hunting down recipes to fit the concept has been has been fun. Working them out into preliminary redaction, has been very enjoyable.
But, finding the balancing act of making sure there are enough variety in each course for the dietary needs, and making it all fit into a budget that I know will be approved by the Powers That Be-sometimes that balancing act can be...beyond tedious.
Serving Alcohol? Yes, I would like to serve an ale at one of the courses, and I would like to serve a light mead with the last course. BUT-with dealing not only the SCA regs, but also the State and Federal Laws, that can prove...dicey. I have no problem with funding it out of my pocket, and asking for help from some of the best brewers in the Kingdom...it is that LAW thing....

I guess you could say I am having pre-pre-preevent jitters....

Helen
And then there is doing all this work, and the possibility of not being taken seriously....