[Sca-cooks] newbee cook attempting feast for the first time in december

Susan Lin Shoshanna at caergalen.org
Mon Jun 8 10:22:00 PDT 2009

I have learned that no matter how many courses I may plan or how many varied
dishes the kitchen prepares people are generally only going to eat what
amounts to a single plate of food.  Yes, there are exceptions but that's
what I have found.

I have also found that if soup is served as a first course people think you
are just trying to fill them up so they don't eat as much of "the good
stuff" even if the soup is very yummy.   So, not as much of the soup gets
eaten.

And bread - people will eat as much bread as you put in front of them
regardless of whatever else is coming along (except for the gluten free
people!!).  Even if you try to limit the bread they'll ask for more.

I'm still learning - especially how to divide the food into courses for a
more homogeneous flow - it is a work in progress.

Yes, you should test recipes first - I don't always do that.  But, remember
-  your facility will not be the same as your kitchen - always bring an oven
theremometer (or two) and an instant read food thermometer (or two) with
you.  You'll be happier you did.

Good luck!

-Shoshanna