[Sca-cooks] Bacon

Susanne Mayer susanne.mayer5 at chello.at
Wed Jun 10 03:05:22 PDT 2009

I looked up the german Text, and also checked the other sausage recipes.
Speck/bacon in modern German is ususally smoked and salted bacon from
different parts of the pig like the belly (more fat, less meat) or made from
the roast (more meat and lean). Or white bacon which is like lardo only fat
(but it usually stated white bacon if it should be used).
If you use fresh pork belly you will get a different taste as the bacon does
impart a salty, lightly smoked flavor.
But it could also be green bacon: raw and not smoked.

So I would try it with differen sorts and adjust it to my taste.

And I did find a modern version wich resembles the welser recipe calling
either for bacon or belly and lean pork and lean beef.

500g pork 300g beef and 200g bacon or belly. Grobe Bauernbratwurst

http://www.rezeptesammlung.net/einkochen_wurst.htm

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speck

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacon

Katharina