[Sca-cooks] Tudor Recipe help

Patricia Collum pjc2 at cox.net
Wed Jun 10 16:24:02 PDT 2009

Tonight I'm playing with a recipe for a Tudor feast we are doing in July.
The recipe is for a sauce for turkey or capon and the ingrediants are
basically onion, claret wine, a little breadcrumbs, the juice of an orange
and some lemon peel. As I was driving home from the store, I realized that
the orange referred to was probably a sour one. To compensate for my
valencia orange do you think it would be OK to add some of the juice of the
lemon?
In discussing some of the other recipes that we are looking at, we have been
trying to find what we can use for barberries. One recipe uses them as a
garnish and one as an ingredient. Peter Brears, in his books, suggests using
red currants, but I don't have any way to get those either. Someone on line
used cranberries; would that be a resonable substitute? (I remember reading
that there is an old world bogberry that is only distinguishable from
cranberries by the size; but I just don't know anything much about
barberries.)

Cecily