[Sca-cooks] Tudor Recipe help - the Seville Orange

David Walddon david at vastrepast.com
Sat Jun 13 00:23:44 PDT 2009

On 6/12/09 11:04 PM, "Terry Decker" <t.d.decker at att.net> wrote:

> based on a quote from Platina, who says sweet oranges "are almost always
suitable for the stomach
> as a first course and the tart ones may be sweetened with sugar."  I haven't
> located the quote, but I have found reference to oranges and Milham's
> footnote on "mala rancia."

It can be found on page 146-147 of Milham in BK II Entry 7
The whole quote is "Almost the same things can be said about those citron or
medicinal apples which are commonly called oranges: really because some are
sweet, some tart, the reason for eating is repeated from the earlier
recipes. Even the sweet ones ae good for the stomach if eaten at any time
before the meal. They are not tart if they have been dipped in sugar, which
is done when the peel is removed and the membranes are taken out."

Milham has two footnotes that deal with citron, citron apples and oranges.
They can be found on page 143 and 145.

Hope this helps.

Eduardo