[Sca-cooks] newbee planning feast in winter, blog

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Thu Jun 18 06:06:31 PDT 2009

Very nice.  As to your question about fish, let me say "salt cod."  Salt
preserved cod and herring were staples of the Hanseatic trade.

IIRC, the traditional practice is to do the butchering before the worst of
winter weather comes and stall the remaining livestock in the barn.
Chickens would nest in the hay and provide eggs for the winter.  It is my
understanding that egg production slows in winter, but doesn't stop unless
the hens experience significant hardship.

Bear