[Sca-cooks] newbee planning feast in winter, blog

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Jun 18 15:08:32 PDT 2009

Bear replied to Elisande with:

<<< Very nice.  As to your question about fish, let me say "salt
cod."  Salt
preserved cod and herring were staples of the Hanseatic trade.

Bear >>>

What would you suggest as a modern source for salt cod or herring,
Bear? I've seen some salt cod sold in little wooden boxes. Rather
expensive for a feast, even considering that the drying has reduced
its weight.

Some fresh fish was available in winter, depending upon how far you
were from the sea and how rich you were.

Elisande, here are some recipes:
In the FOOD-MEAYS section of the Florilegium:
fish-msg         (150K)  1/17/08  Medieval fish dishes. Fish in the SCA.
fish-pies-msg     (20K)  6/ 8/09  Period fish pies. Recipes.
salmon-msg       (102K)  2/ 5/09    Period use of Salmon. Recipes.

eels-msg          (28K)  1/17/08  Eel dishes. Getting and cleaning eels.
These were often farmed far from the coast, so it was one way for
those communities to have fresh fish. While their popularity waned
when salted cod became more available, they continued to be raised.
They may be more available today in Europe than in the U.S.

stockfish-msg    (118K) 11/ 4/06    Period preserved fish. Dried,
smoked and
                                        salted fish. Recipes.

When you speak of fish are you also including seafood and crustaceans?

seafood-msg      (116K)  6/ 7/09    Medieval non-fish seafood. Recipes.
shrimp-msg        (16K)  4/ 7/07    Medieval shrimp recipes.
Shrympes-art      (16K) 10/11/01    "Shrympes" by Lady Constance de
Larose.

Personally, I'm not fond of pea soup. I'm not going to be there, but
here's some alternatives:
mustard-soup-msg  (13K)  4/ 3/02    Mustard soup. HE Salaamallah's
version.
soup-msg         (114K)  6/10/07  Medieval soups. Cooking soups at
events.
                                      recipes.

Various foods were pickled for later winter use. One of the tricks was
to use them in foods that were enhanced rather than hurt by the sour
taste involved.
pickled-foods-msg (152K) 2/19/09    Medieval pickled food. recipes.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com