[Sca-cooks] Salt cod (was: Newbee planning feast in winter)

Jennifer Carlson talana1 at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 20 07:12:57 PDT 2009

Eduardo asked:

> What do you use for your recipe for salt cod?
> Does anyone have period directions on salting cod?
> What a great idea!

I found a recipe on the web by googling "making salt cod" and picking the one that looked the least complicated.

Coat the fillets on all sides with kosher salt, as if you were breading them.  I put a poultry roasting rack in a baking dish and laid the fillets on the rack, then  covered the assembly with plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator.  The fillets give up their water fairly quickly.  I let them stay in the fridge for a few days, pouring off the liquid each day and resalting them if they needed it.  Then I put them in freezer bags and tucked them in the freezer.

Like Adamantius, I didn't get them to dry out completely, but they're quite satisfactory.

Talana