[Sca-cooks] Taillevent is Alive And Well and Living In -- Manila???

Susan Lin susanrlin at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 10:18:38 PDT 2009

"that the dark red, slightly oily sauce on the table is not in fact chili
paste, but still quite powerful and made, I suspect, from dried shrimp"

I think that might have been baggaong (spelling could be off) - it is indeed
a sauce made from tiny tiny brine shrimp.  I remember eating it in the
Philippines with green mango when I lived there as an exchange student way
back when.

I'm sorry your first experience with Filipino food was a disappointment.  I
love it and I love pansit (which has always been made with rice vermicelli
noodles as far as I know).  My favorite has to be banana pie - made with
wonderful bananas (not like banana cream pie - more like an apple pie but
with bananas).  I've tried to replicate it many times here but we just don't
have the same kind of bananas.

Keep trying - I"m sure you'll find lots of stuff you like.  I"ll cautioni
you about ballut though - you might like it but I could never bring myself
to eat it.

Happy exploring.

Shoshanna