[Sca-cooks] al-Warraq part two

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Tue Jun 23 13:54:57 PDT 2009

I've been experimenting with al-Warraq baking. Among other things,
there are bread recipes. Yesterday I did Nabatean water bread, which
is supposed to be cooked by sticking it to the inside of a tannur. I
used a baking stone in an oven. After five or ten minutes you
sprinkle it with water--not sure what the effect of that is. It
turned out as a dense, reasonably tasty bread.

This morning I baked ka-ak. Comes out as a sort of dry cracker/bread.
A little dull, since I didn't have the saffron that was the one
flavoring--but it could have been worse. I could have had the saffron.

If anyone else wants to try it, my conclusions so far are:

For a full recipe (I was doing a fifth) 7 1/2 c water. Roll it out
about 1/4" thick--it will puff up in the oven.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com