[Sca-cooks] An overlooked feast day of culinary significance...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Jun 26 08:00:34 PDT 2009

On Jun 26, 2009, at 10:40 AM, Susan Fox wrote:

> There is probably a comical pie chart for GraphJam.com in a
> comparison of the price and desirability of raw herring with
> interesting toppings at a Danish place vs. a Sushi-ya.  But the
> number people who would get the joke is another small pie chart.
>
> Sköl,
> Selene

For some reason you remind me of the piper we got from the local
Emerald Society to play at my father-in-law's funeral. Apparently the
various Buddhist priests and the guys running the funeral home were a
little standoffish, and possibly a little rude, to the piper (who, I
am fairly certain, my father-in-law requested be present as a little
joke on them, or at least it was an acknowledged bonus).

I tried to explain to him that the funeral home had services going in
a large room separated by a collapsible partition into two smaller
chapels, and it might have been a little hard to concentrate on the
Buddhist ceremony going on a quarter-inch of vinyl and particle-board
away from the playing of the Calvinist Top Forty on the pipes, on our
side. They weren't bad people, they just weren't prepared.

He looked at me with utter sincerity (one which probably still serves
him in good stead late on Friday and Saturday nights in bars), and
said, "Do you mean... that there are people who don't like bagpipes?"

Did I mention that I love the Scots-Irish? Even though they probably
don't like raw herring either?

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter