[Sca-cooks] An overlooked feast day of culinary significance...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Jun 26 08:54:31 PDT 2009

On Jun 26, 2009, at 11:33 AM, Johnna Holloway wrote:

> Ah yes, the 24th of June. Arise at 4 am in Shanghai, go to airport,
> plane leaves at 8:30 am. We arrive back in USA and land at 9:30 am
> still
> on the 24th. I suppose someplace in all those extra hours of the 24th
> I should have had time to gather green walnuts.

Well, sure. Some people are just naturally lazy -- what can I say?

We didn't get to picking walnuts (where would we go?), but we did
acquire a fairly large quantity of cherries on that day...

No herring, either, but I did have some nice cod Wienerschnitzel for
lunch yesterday  (they solved the problem of fillets of uneven
thickness by cutting a sort of loin centercut section from the back,
and then repeatedly butterflying it, an ingenious bit of knifey
legerdemaine, IMO).

I also noted that it appears to be the height of mulberry season
around here, not that I'm suggesting that the trees in Queens and
Manhattan are necessarily an ideal source for such fruit, although my
father-in-law always used to gather his yearly supply of ginko nuts
from the [ornamental] trees in upper Manhattan.

Not very ornamental, though, to my mind. Among other things, the ripe
fruit, which looks like apricots, makes durian smell pleasant.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter