[Sca-cooks] OT- Peerage Oaths

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Mar 4 00:02:32 PST 2009

Urtatim replied to me with:

<<< Here in the West...

Peers are asked (but not required) to swear fealty when there's a
change of royalty. Some royalty call them up peerage by peerage, or
sometimes as a whole group of peers. This is repeated at Principality
events, in case anyone missed the kingdom event.>>>

Thank you for the detailed description, and to others that have
answered as well. I feel an SCA-oaths-msg file coalescing, to go with
the Florilegium file on period oaths...

They don't call up the knights individually to give their oaths? That
is often done here in Ansteorra, although I don't think it is common
in Ansteorra for the other Peers to get time for individual oaths.
While it is period, I find the individual oaths to be rather boring
and drawn out at Coronations, at least for the audience. You can't
hear the individual oaths. You just get to sit and twiddle your
fingers, or whatever. At least when the oath is done as a group,
there is a herald announcing each line so the audience can hear it.
Of course in period, since they usually didn't change Royalty every
six months (or three), the oaths would have been individual and
spread out over a much longer span of time.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com