[Sca-cooks] HELP? What makes a good book on Gastronomy?

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 04:04:47 PST 2009

To begin with, this is going to be somewhat difficult to do when it comes to
Japan...but it can be done.  The problem is locating cookbooks that are in
our period...I assume that this is what you mean by "premodern."  We are
currently working on one that dates to the 1640's.

When talking about Japanese gastronomy, it will be very important to tie it
to their philosophy and way of life.  In fact, a friend and I were just
talking about this yesterday.  You can't really consider their cuisine
without looking at all other aspects of their culture.  Things like the tea
ceremony and the meal that accompanies it have a definite philosophical
aspect to them.  There are also words that the Japanese use to describe
aesthetics that will come into play...the bad news is that there really
isn't a good English equivalent to them, so you'll have to do as many others
have done...try to explain what the terms mean.

I'd love to see what you come up with when you finish with it...and if there
is any way in which I may be of assistance, please let me know.

Kiri (who's been trying to understand these things for most of her life!)